Thursday, December 3, 2009

On the Road Again!

As you know, our schedules have taken some twists and turns the last six weeks.  Some have asked about an update on my health situation.  John says I’m falling apart and wonders if I’m still under warranty?

 

After returning home from having the double mastectomy, I developed a cold and a terrible cough.  I coughed and coughed.  Nevertheless, I made a remarkable recovery.  (Don’t get me wrong—I’m still a bit sore).  It was heartwarming to receive so many beautiful cards.  Everyone was so nice to bring me food, flowers, and gifts.  Thank you so much for your many acts of kindness and especially your prayers.

 

About the same time I learned of my breast cancer, I also learned about some possible polyps in the uterus.  When I left the hospital at Mayo’s, the doctor emphasized the importance of me keeping an appointment on December 1st.  Now that would make three trips to Mayo’s.  Eric had to take us the first time and Amy had to stay with us and help drive us home after surgery.  I decided to cancel but being the good patient I am, I decided John and I would try to get to the big city by ourselves (all 600 miles).  After opening an early Christmas present, we knew we could do it.  He received a GPS that was sure to get us to our destination.  Oops!  You mean the thing has to be programmed!  Thanks to Eric we were on our way – Destination—Mayo Clinic.  Ours is a TOMTOM and it really works.  We highly recommend it.  It’s hard to believe but it told (yes, actually talked) us every turn to make.

 

December 1st I had a hysteroscopy at the Rochester Methodist Hospital.  Basically, they look inside your uterus with a hysteroscope.  Since they don’t give anesthetic, I was able to watch on a screen, but didn’t know what I was seeing.  The gynecologist told me I had a polyp just inside the uterus that extended all the way to the back of the uterus.  There were also two other “things” of some kind that didn’t belong.  The gynecologist said they all need to come out.  I guess we’ll make trip number four before the year is out.  They have scheduled me for surgery on December 29th

 

They have asked me to participate in a research study at the Mayo Clinic.  The research is being done to look at both the cause and the outcome of breast cancer.  I am happy to consent to giving blood and tissue to be used.  I also have to fill out questionnaires from time to time and release a lot of past medical records to them.  This is a long term study and I hope they gain information to help others in the future.  I met with one of the team members to get the process started while at Mayo’s.

 

John had to go around and visit with some friends he met on the first two visits.  He ask the man at the Dairy Queen if he could apply for a job.  He said he’s at Mayo’s enough to help out if they are short handed.

 

I did not experience any of the side effects that they said I might have so we started home earlier than planned.  Guess what – I figured out how to program that thing to Carmi, IL.  In fact, I got so good at running that new fangled thing that I asked it where to sleep.  It said to stop at 4.2 miles and stay at the Comfort Inn.  It was a rather new and very nice place to stay.  John said he wouldn’t trade his present for a farm in Georgia.  We might take to traveling after all these years.

 

I plan to get some extra rest and enjoy Christmas.  Two sisters were out playing.  One girl came in and cried, “Oh, Mommy, I’ve made a terrible discovery.  All of the roses have thorns!”  The second daughter came running and her face was beaming.  “Oh Mommy” she said, “Come and see!  All of the thorns have beautiful roses!”  Whether our roses have thorns or our thorns have roses depends largely on us.  Let’s look for the roses and give God the thanks this Christmas season.  Merry Christmas and remember me in your prayers on December 29th.  I’ll update the blog on December 30th

 

No comments:

Post a Comment